Thursday 10 June 2010

THE WILD GARDEN

THE WILD GARDEN

I have to face up to it - I have to get out the dreaded strimmer, face protector, ear protectors etc and cut the long grass. It comes of having a semi wild garden.
The woodland area shown will be left for now as the red and white campion are a sea of delight - and much more abundant than in the image shown.

Every year the banks where daffodils grow are left until late June/July to let the bulbs bulk up for next year - then I have to strim and, even worse, rake off and remove the strimmings.
Under the trees where the light level is lower there is only some regrowth of grass and weeds so it is easier to spot the brambles and extract them. Doing this, rather R doing this, each year has gradually weakened their resolve to take over. We, she, must keep at it!

When we started much of the upper garden was a sea of tangled bramble, stems looping down to root at their tips and march on across the open areas. The triffids were winning. Only the dedication of R has stemmed the tide of invasion and allowed the campion, pignut, violets and bluebells to flourish.

But now I have to go out and face the jungle. Perhaps I will just take the shears and clear around the shrubs first - to prevent strimming that which I wish to keep. (I have managed to assassinate two Robinias and a cercidiphyllum in the last two years).

Oh! Perhaps I will just have a coffee then the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment