Sunday 18 July 2010

PRODUCE AND RAIN

Luckily had a little harvest yesterday - wonderful young carrots and our only turnip.
Also shown are a few of our blackcurrants. Together with rhubarb, raspberries and strawberries (the latter bought) sugar and a little water we made 12 pounds of red fruit salad for the freezer. You add the brandy later.
Anyone want any blackcurrants?
You come and pick them, you can have them.

Must sow some more turnips - just time I think - and the idea of growing carrots in bottomless plastic tubs has worked!

Then there is this morning and RAIN!!!!

Steady heavy drizzle - none of your soft Irish weather here. Ideas of strimming and mowing out of the window. Even the birds are sheltering rather than swarming all over the feeders.

The creamy scabious at the back right of the picture is an old favourite. Many years ago when Coverham Abbey in Yorkshire (near Middleham) was a garden centre of sorts I bought one of these tall plants. So when I saw them in a catalogue I just had to have one. (3 actually)

The pink/red flowers are poppies which self seed and the yellow a rose.

The paving needs cleaning with the pressure washer.
I suppose I could do that in the rain.
If I wanted to.


No comments:

Post a Comment