Saturday 17 July 2010

RASPBERRY JAM

Yesterday we dashed out before the next rain, as the raspberries were dry, to pick as many as we could.
Then (we) - R made - jam.
I mowed lawns whilst I could. (I did do a bit of bottling and wrote some labels.)
So now we have enough jam for the next decade - I will have to join the W.I. so I can sell our wares at the shop in the Coronation Hall.
We (R) used an old recipe out of Mrs Beeton which is quick and gives wonderful flavour and colour.


The skimmings go into a mug and still taste great even if they look a it scummy.

This, of course, still leaves the lorry-load of blackcurrants waiting on then bushes.
Plan is to make blackcurrant jelly.
We did consider blackcurrant cordial but the books say you need pectin destroying stuff and we have a bit of a Hum and a Ha about that.
Anyway it is raining again this morning so picking postponed.
I have come to the conclusion we have too many blackcurrant bushes - anyone want a couple?

Also I am considering taking prunings, cutting 12 to 18 inch lengths and shoving them into hedgerows around the area. Then everyone would have a free glut of the fruit in a few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment