Tuesday 3 August 2010

HOLLYHOCKS AND OTHER RAMBLINGS

The picture below right is a hollyhock and thereby hangs a tale.

I got it from Elizabeth MacGregor's
wonderful nursery in Kirkudbright a couple of
years ago.

After the hard winter I was sure it was dead.

In May we went to Dumfries and Galloway for the Spring Fling as we are wont to do.
(The Spring Fling is a Spring Bank Holiday even where artists and craftsmen across the southwest of Scotland open their doors to the public.)
We visited the aforementioned nursery and I saw another similar hollyhock but in not very good shape. I told her my sob story of the frost killed plant and the outcome was that I came away with a free but rather miserable plant. (Amongst other purchases).

So I planted it and, as the summer passed, not only did it thrive but the supposedly
dead plant came to life.
Now I have two hollyhocks and feel a twinge of guilt - but only a small one.

We have received two presents on the step of the new garden office - dead mice. I think the neighbour's cat is at large in the garden - does not cheer me up - the small birds have enough trouble with squirrels, woodpeckers and the sparrowhawk.
It is time to decorate the Garden Office.
After I applied masking tape to windows and doors R started to paint the inside of the Wendy House white - and lasted less than half an hour - came in hot and bothered and could not be bothered. Offered to do it but she is going to pay one of our sons. This is a picture of her paint smeared shower hat discarded in disgust!

What has this to do with a garden blog? Not much - reflects the frustration caused by the weather. I am not a Monty Don braving all the elements. I like it not too hot and
not wet. Mind you it has been chilly today - yet the showers keep coming.

So what can one do?
Catalogues are arriving for autumn bulbs but it feels too soon to buy tulips and daffs.
I have seedlings in the shed that need potting on but as I have not labelled them I am not sure what they are - here is the first lesson - label everything, especially if old age and intermittent memory is creeping on.

My watch has stopped.
It may be the battery but I think it got wet a week ago, probably from being under the water of the pond, so may be defunct. I have had it for over 20 years.
Time for new time? Must go to town to jewellers.

(It was the battery.)

(D***! Rather fancied a new watch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment