Monday 16 August 2010

MUCK AND STUFF

So, what do you feed your plants with eh!?

Answer - mainly well rotted horse manure topped with a bit of own compost, pelleted hen manure and growmore.

To the right you can see our compost heap - nowt goes in the green bin for the council.
I know - it looks like it could do with turning - well, yes it could. It is just that I have developed the habit of putting it off.


The Horse Manure is now nearly four years old.
When we built the house I got the builder to move the manure mountain in the next field where the ladies
have their horses (and the council wanted to charge them some ridiculous sum to take it away) to the garden. I have still not used it all - though that day will come.

It is great stuff once the weeds that have colonised it have been removed.

Then there is the question of grass cuttings - the mowing mountains.

I try to incorporate some in the compost heap but there is just too much so there are about three secret (and not so secret) mowings mountains in various corners.
A poor attempt to hide it with flowering currant has failed. I could use willow but there is enough in the garden as it is.

One thing I have not yet tried is seaweed.

Many years ago I used to visit Old Charley Porter who lived on Meeting House Lane - he was well in his nineties then and he gave me a rhubarb plant. "Go down to the shore and get a load of seaweed," he said, "Best thing for rhubarb."

So now you can have rhubarb and manure, rhubarb and custard - and rhubarb and seaweed!

No comments:

Post a Comment