Wednesday 18 August 2010

SHRIVELLED AND DEHYDRATED AND BLISTERED

(The title of the blog could, but does not, well not always, refer to myself after a days work in the garden.)


There are times when not to dead head is the thing.

Various seed heads are worth leaving for their architectural merit - small dried sculptures (or in the case of the Crambe - large dried sculpture.)

The first and perhaps most obvious are the alliums as shown in todays two images. The more dramatic is the upper shot of Allium chiristophii.
(Hope I have spelled that right.)
(If not I must get a new tipist.)

Another plant I leave is the opium poppy because of the shape and so it can scatter its seed for next year.

Of course I leave the hips on the Rosa rugosa and Rosa rubifolia for autumn show and the various ornamental grasses for the frost to come and create a wonderland during the winter months.

In the wilder garden the grasses and the statuesque angelica are also left - there is some hogweed - not a favourite.

When I first strimmed the garden, stupidly, I did it on a hot day with sleeves rolled up.
Next day sitting with family in the Ship Inn at Coniston I noticed blisters appearing on my arms and head.
These were chemical burns from Hogweed sap - not the giant one, just the ordinary one. Rue does it (has done it to me) too and once, pruning euphorbias, I rubbed my eyes - Aaaaaagh!

So now I go out strimming, as infrequently as possible, as if I am wearing a radiation protection suit - and sweat to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment