Saturday 7 August 2010

THROUGH OTHER EYES

I have wondered what others who have now gone would feel about the garden as it is today.
I think Tom, the previous owner would not be too unhappy and at least glad that I have an area growing veg. and fruit. Of course it is very different to how it was when he was growing rows of potatoes in the top west corner. This picture is at least fifty years old and this area now contains a fallen tree, nettles, docks and other overgrown weeds. The field above has also been drained into this land causing flooding and bogginess.

This is now shaded by trees that were not there then - is, in fact a clearing in a small wood.. This is where I have planted the willow wands - the plan is to coppice them for firewood for the woodburner at some stage.

My maternal grandfather would have wondered why there are no beehives - he kept bees and we had a film of him covered in a swarm. I do not know where it is now. I also have a watercolour painting done by him of his garden in Liverpool - and there are biplanes in the sky!

My mother loved gardens and she would have walked around, I hope, finding corners of delight. Though, perhaps, the disorganised and wilder areas would not quite meet with her sense of order.
I wrote a poem about fifteen years ago which was quite successful in competitions -



No comments:

Post a Comment