Saturday 3 September 2011

FOR B ON HER BIRTHDAY

B is coming today on her birthday to see the garden (and us?).
It is raining tigers and wolves.

So here, for her, are pictures of some of the flowers in the garden yesterday that she will not see (unless she gets very wet).






Now most of the strimming in the wood has been done and it looks wonderful. I did not sit on my backside, much, whilst it was being done - I did clear the overgrown sides of the stream, help R make lots of plum jam - yummy - mow the lawns, plant three veronicastrum by the pond (where R had weeded). The carex pendula (weeping sedge) sows itself everywhere and is a nuisance.
I have also succumbed to some yellow pansies to put near the back door.
Pansies are not my thing - I prefer violas.

Autumn plans are astirring in my head - to move shrubs in the flowerbeds to the banking and replace with cuttings of herbaceous perennials from the shed. Two roses are struggling for lack of good soil (planted over a drain) and will need shifting and feeding.
I have ordered bulbs and stuff from Parker's (good value), Sarah Raven (top quality but not cheap) and Weasdale - two Amelanchiers after seeing Sir Roy Strong on Gardener's World had almost topiarised - is this a word - it is now - his.

And I need to buy a hover mower.
And I need to rent a scarifier.
And I need to have another drinking chocolate on this dank drear day.

Happy Birthday B.

No comments:

Post a Comment