Monday 5 September 2011

STONES

The wife of my late partner has a habit which I share.
Wherever we go in the world we bring back stones - be it local or New Zealand.
A selection of small egg sized pebbles sit on the windowsill of my room, the rest are heaped in the garden.

STONES



On digging new ground for potatoes I found four tide smooth stones.

“Tom brought them here,” his daughter said, “To edge beds.”


Our stones fill corners, sit on logs, fill old bowls -

slate slabs from Luing inset with cubes of shining pyrites,


rock crystal from Corfu, 1969. still exotic,

gathered from a quarry on our honeymoon,


pebbles from Menorca when the octopus grabbed my ankle

on the snorkelling beach and I yelped with alarm,


white quartz from a crag near Goats Water carried down

the old track to Little Arrow through Bannishead,


heavy haematite looking like half an enormous brain

lugged from Newgale in a backpack, now a doorstop,


small stone eggs harvested from the shore at Roanhead

whilst Jethro and Willow excavated mountains of sand,


pink Ionan granite from the beach opposite Eilean Annraidh

where we stood and stared north at Western Mull and Staffa,


slag from the bloomery by the lake near Napping Tree

where we would swim and cook causages on a wood fire.


When my father died I took a dark brown stone from Bardsea Beach

and rolled it in my pocket like a Rosary Bead, a comfort.


All these places, memories and events are now collected in our garden,

waiting in the shadows to be seen and surprise me.



Which brings me to plums - they have stones!




But most of them have been removed from the jam.

ps. It is raining again so I have Karchered most of the paving to remove the slippery green stuff.

And the week ahead - gales, heavy showers and cool - autumn is with us, winter is not too far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment