Saturday 18 February 2012

THEN THERE WAS NO WINTER, THEN THERE WAS

Just a few days of ice and a little snow - hooray for the slugs - or rather not the slugs.

The sheep in the back field were fed by the farmer and shrugged it off.

One day we had black ice - over everything. As one drove the rain froze on the
windscreen - well not as I drove because I didn't - I lit the woodburner and settled down.

The pond froze, toes froze, nose froze and so it goes. Salt bin by the gate not filled by the council in the summer - this may be because of the coal tit nest in it?

Of course 3 oriental poppies I ordered arrived and so were popped into pots for now.

Then we saw that the heron had arrived in the field below the house and my son reported funny noises from down the garden in the dark.

So up I got and walked off to the pond (I had dug it out (a bit) two days earlier) and there was the first frogspawn - hence the heron, hence the croaking at dusk.

Windy last night - the weather - so picking up more sticks today.
The snowdrops are at their best and the first crocuses, daffs and even a blue anemone are out.

The wheelbarrow and horse manure await me - what a thrill. Must dig up the remaining leeks - one or two have bolted so will have that hard core in the middle of a flowering stem. Chicken wire needs stapling to posts - the rabbit has been seen!
I went to get a hammer but the ironmonger had run out.

I used to have hammers.
I used to have lots of tools.
I still have children though they are grown up - "Can I borrow this or that Dad?"

No comments:

Post a Comment