Wednesday 2 May 2012

WHERE HAVE ALL THE SWALLOWS GONE, LONG TIME . . .

Where are the swallows?
Now May and only seen one passing over.
However we have had a cuckoo in the garden for the first time.

Some shrubs are flowering and flowering - the Magnolia stellata and the flowering currant have been at it for weeks. I think the cold weather may be the reason.
And the rhubarb is thriving - I have frozen 6 lbs already - and we are eating asparagus.
R bought an ice cream maker at Lakeland in Windermere so we have had our first sally into such with a mixed fruit sorbet - very rich.

Of course Windermere is the name of the lake (not Windermere Lake - tautology) and the town called Windermere is actually Applethwaite and the bit by the lake Bowness. I think the name changed when they opened the station in Applethwaite and called it Windermere Station.
This has nothing to do with the garden so onward.

During the few showers I have potted on the Begonia rex and 4 amaryllis which live in the house.

Talking of weather we are cool and dry!
Whereas the south now is flooded our stream is almost dry.
We had a shower yesterday but the sun is now out.
Also yesterday I carefully removed new growth below desired height from trees in the garden, especially the willows and have pruned the twisted willow and the weeping willow which has never wept - I live in hope.
More veg in - have sown turnips (not the big things we call swedes up here but the small white turnips) and french beans. It may be too early but I might get away with it. The sweet peas are also in after hardening off. Tied in loose raspberry canes and mucked them up - I mean mulched them with muck.

The bonfire grows with old wood from the bramble patch as we clear it (well, R does).

The cherries are now looking
more like trees - as with the Prunus shirotae here - and one day will be spectacular.
Where the blue seat is in this picture in front of the cold frame I have made a small bed and planted it with 3 choisya ternata sundance given to me by A. my son-in-law.
More weeding, I hear the cry.

At least the cool weather has slowed grass growth which reminds me I need more petrol for the mowers.

In the autumn I rashly splashed out a few pennines in the market and bought some wallflowers - worth every penny and the scent. . . !

I am short of Thyme as we seem to use a lot - must get another plant or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment