Tuesday 30 September 2014

THE WAY THROUGH THE WOODS


I have got to start with this - our Magnolia grandiflora has one huge white scented flower - at last.


One of the main parts of our garden is the small patch of woodland at the top and west. This is largely a wild area only minimally controlled - R removes brambles from most of it though we do have a good patch by the far wall.



This wood is approached by various paths from the house and lawns. These have all been constructed since we moved, are of local slate chippings and edged largely by branches fallen from the ash trees.

At the far corner is an open area which used to be Tom's potato patch (he was the previous owner). It would not be feasible now as it is surrounded by trees which shade it.

However it might be ideal for a surreptitious willow tunnel - do not tell R.

Part of the wood is a group of hawthorn from which the lower growth - to about five feet from the ground - has been removed. This means we can see through them as shown here -


The small bush on the right is a self sown hazel.

It is good to have some mature trees in the garden but, as they are mainly ash (and a few sycamore) we hope the dreaded ash killer currently spreading across the country stays away.

The tall trunks give a cathedral effect - pillars and arches - even if the masonry (twigs and branches) falls on ones head from time to time.

We had collected many of these twigs as kindling for the wood burner but I have heaped them into a remote corner now as a haven for wild life as we have too many.

Funnily enough, whilst I was deciding where to place them I found another half hidden heap I put up there in the spring - I had forgotten. Now we have two heaps. Soon we will have heaps of heaps . . .

From the vantage point of the wood I can look down on the area soon to be a white birch copse. You can see the new course of the stream and the places designated for planting - the logs.



I have been talking of wild life in the garden so here is a cuddly picture of a ravenous bunny rabbit. What a little sweetie. - ? I think it comes up the field in front of the house and through the hedge at the bottom of the garden though there are scrapings all over the place. I do not really want a warren here so will have to keep a sharp eye out for developments. If one rabbit becomes two rabbits and they are of different genders then they can become many rabbits very quickly.
The romans brought them here for a food supply which was as good a decision as bringing Ground Elder. 

My son R mooted that he might slip some fish (perhaps goldfish) into the pond whilst we are not looking but I hope I have dissuaded him as they would only be heron fodder.

D (of D & J) - see previous references to cuppas - has suggested that if I give up my cuppa I might be vulnerable to the temptation of a glass. I might be tempted by fish and chips with lashings of vinegar, salt and ketchup with bread and butter and a lager but the diet must go on . . .  and on . . . and on . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment